History of Garden Island
The Navy relationship with Garden Island began 10 days after the Fleet arrived in 1788 when CAPT Phillip gave it to the crew of the SIRIUS to grow their vegetables. The stewardship of the Navy has been interrupted from time to time, however the Commonwealth Government owns Garden Island and it is a Naval establishment controlled by the Commanding Officer HMAS KUTTABUL. ADI and some other non-Navy units lodge on parts of the Garden Island site.
Garden Island has a rich and active history. The key phases in its history are:
  • Pre 1788: Australian Aboriginal use of Garden Island
  • 1788: European settlement and use of Garden Island as a naval port and ship repair site
  • 1940-1946: World War II and the building of the Captain Cook Graving Dock
  • 1946-1990: Garden Island as the nations dedicated strategic naval defence site
  • 2002: Garden Island now
Key Reference Book : "The Garden Island" by TR Frame, Kangaroo Press, 1990
Related Links
Naval History of Garden Island - 22Kb
The Naval Historical Society of Australia
Captain Cook Graving Dock
Docking and Berth History - 419Kb
Garden Island Occupants
History of Garden Island
Garden Island Location
Image Gallery
Garden Island Panoramas
Click for more
info on the
Environmental
Hotline
Register for
regular updates
by email
About Garden Island Work Activities Local Community Operational Conditions Environment Links